Such a widespread disease of the musculoskeletal system as osteochondrosis of the neck is manifested by local muscle pain, dizziness, and rapid fatigue. To prevent bad health, you should take care of sleep hygiene. One of its inseparable components is the everyday use of orthopedic pillows. They are designed to distribute the load evenly and maintain the correct spine position. Well-known manufacturers offer a large selection of such products. Therefore, it is necessary to consider how to choose an orthopedic pillow for cervical osteochondrosis and what to pay attention to when buying.
Features and main characteristics of the models
The classic orthopedic pillow for people suffering from osteochondrosis and back pain is rectangular. The length of such products is 60-80 cm, width – 40-60 cm, height – 6-16 cm. They also offer rectangular with a bend, round, square, and oval models.
A correctly selected pillow for cervical osteochondrosis at the moment of contact with the body adjusts to the contours of the head and spine, completely repeating them. This ensures maximum comfort during sleep. A high-quality product does not deform over time and immediately assumes its original form after pressing.
An essential criterion for choosing pillows with orthopedic properties is the filler material. Taking into account this parameter, models of the following types are distinguished:
- Latex. The filler successfully combines low-weight, hypoallergenic, and hygroscopicity. The material quickly takes its original shape when pressed. This ensures high-quality orthopedic properties. It is relevant for preventing pain during osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
- With orthopedic foam. Light latex material that provides natural support for the head and neck. Among the advantages of the filler are lightness and hypoallergenic properties.
- Memory foam. The material perfectly adapts to the contours of the body. Thanks to this, you can adopt the most comfortable posture for the neck and back, which is relevant for people treating osteochondrosis.
The listed materials do not attract dust mites, which is a significant advantage when choosing a hypoallergenic product. When planning to buy orthopedic pillows for cervical osteochondrosis, you should pay attention to the material of the cover. This element is made of natural cotton or knitwear. The first option combines hypoallergenic and hygroscopicity. As for the knitted blanket, its advantages include elasticity and excellent wear resistance.
How to choose the right pillow based on individual characteristics
Maximum comfort and health benefits during sleep will be provided by a model purchased taking into account body shape and preferences. Features of the choice:
- A person with a massive shoulder girdle should choose a wide pillow.
- Those who are used to sleeping on their back should buy a thin model of 6-7 cm.
- A pillow 8–9 cm thick is suitable for sleeping on the side.
If you have doubts about choosing a model with orthopedic properties, consult a doctor. To alleviate the manifestations of the disease of the musculoskeletal system, you need to know how to sleep with cervical osteochondrosis. Basic recommendations:
- It is important to purchase an orthopedic mattress along with the pillow to provide comprehensive spinal support.
- It is essential to sleep on your back or side, as this is the only way to achieve anatomical relaxation of the cervical region.
- Avoid sudden movements during lifting.
When choosing a high-quality orthopedic pillow, it is worth buying a product of a well-known manufacturer. BON, Highfoam-Noble, Gutenkauf, and others stand out among the proven brands.